INSTAGRAM

Instagram

Friday, May 6, 2011

BABY BOOMER

Who are the Baby Boomers?

A search from Wikipedia tells me that baby boomers are people born between the years 1946 to
1964. Now Baby Boomers are between the ages 44 to 62.

Statistic shows that in America alone, there are 76 millions baby boomers. This does not include the rest of the world and I am proud to said that I am one of the statistic.

Being born in the baby boomer's year means that there is not enough of anything for everybody.

There are 8 of us in the family and I remember we have so little to eat, not to said toys to play with.

My parents has to work so hard to feed 8 mouths and whatever is place on the table is never wasted.

An apple is always cut into 8 pieces, school uniforms and shoes are always han
d me down and toys are always creatively made from stuff we got from the woods or unwanted things.


I have never felt that we don't have enough. With so many brothers and sister, I have never felt that I wanted more.

Growing up in the 70s was fun. That was the revolution year of The Beatles, The Carpenters and in my small little world, David Cassidy was the most handsome guy on earth. I would secretly cut out all his photos from the than Fanfare magazine and paste it in my scrap book.

Writing song on our self-made song book was the in thing. If you don't own one, you are considered not normal. And during recess, we would be howling songs like Top of The World, Please Mr Postman and a few others by The Carpenter.

That is also the time when Bruce Lee died. Even though we don't have television in the house, I idolised him also. I remember crying my heart out for this heart breaker.

Yes, television was a luxury during those days. Every evening, we would sneak to our neighbor's house to watch the
famous Ultra Man. They are the only family in the whole neighborhood that owns a television. Of course they find us annoying because we would hog their doorway until the show ends.

Sometimes they would bang the door shut on our face. But being children, we have very thick skin. We would peek through the window to finish the show.

Owing a telephone is also rare. Only one or two of our neighbors own one. Whenever there is a phone call for any of us, everybody will know. Our names will be yelled across the street.

When I first started working in an office, the telephone terrific me. Whenever it rings, I will stammered answering it because talking to an unknown person on the phone is never part of my growing up life.


Working life for people born in the baby boomer years can be quite a challenge. Cultural identity, social changes and economic impact is all part of us.

Most of us now are in our retirement age and some of us are still having young family to raise and elderly parents to take care of.

My family is an example. My daughter is only 11 years old while we are almost in our retirement age.

As a late boomer our self, we decide to have one child only. Everything is painstakingly plan for her. No deprivation will she suffer like we do.

We will have a long way to go and I hope the journey will be a smooth one.















No comments:

Post a Comment